Thursday, April 5, 2012

Horrible Medical Minds

Mike is a proponent of medicine and using the technology we've discovered. It came as quite a shock to me when we were discussing someone in my birth group getting results of her sweet baby having downs and being sick. He was asking how they knew for sure and all that. When I explained how he understood and soon the topic was brought to inductions, c sections, etc.

It's been common knowledge that I think ok many c sections and inductions are unnecessary. He was amazed to learn that the US has one of the highest rates of infant mortality He said he believes that's because of too much medical intervention and women not being allowed to birth "late" as well as those women who want to be induced for comfort, timing, dr schedule, etc. He fully understands (as do I) that things happen, interventions can be necessary and all that jazz. Hes amazing and truly gets that a woman's body was made todo this! We were built for giving birth! It's not necessarily a fun time, pregnancy, but our bodies can do it! Woman have been birthing for thousands of years without the "help" of inductions and the myriad of interventions we have today. He doesn't he why women have to be put on a time limit for birthing and pregnancy, neither do I. Yay for spinny wheels of due dates?

1 comment:

  1. It does make me curious though, if I wouldn't have been induced with Gideon how much farther I would have gone before going into labor. LOL. I agree with you though, they are usually unnecessary and people are rushing to have them to fit their schedule. Don't people realize, babies don't work on our schedules! lol

    ReplyDelete