Monday, March 11, 2013

Easter Baskets Take 1

After scouring stores and online for Easter baskets and coming up with nothing but either cheap crummy looking baskets or super expensive nice ones I decided to make them myself. So, I took to Pinterest and came up with a couple different ideas by taking bits and pieces from different tutorials.

I set out to Hobby Lobby to gather supplies. Since I already had fabric I just needed baskets, metal pails, mod podge, and hot glue (it's packed away in the abyss that is my crafting space. Possibly lost forever).

I chose two small black buckets. Originally I hadn't planned on doing two baskets each but alas Hobby Lobby only had small pails rather than the big ones I intended. No big deal, these will be the egg hunting pails while the larger baskets will be for the presents (who doesn't love an opportunity for gift giving?!). I also didn't want black but it was either that or red for the size (and price!) I wanted. So black it was.

 So, I chose my two complimenting fabrics and got to cutting. I cut a bunch of square/rectangle pieces of each fabric. I didn't measure because that takes the fun out of things. Then I mod podged each square in alternating pattern. I tried to make sure the ends came over the top to cover. I didn't with the first one and the second still had some not so awesome spots. Overall not bad though. Gives it that quirky homemade look.

Next I got glued the tops down over the edges.
 Then I cut a strip of fabric wide and long enough to cover the body if the pail and tuck under the bottom. Hot glued one edge then got glued the top.
  
Then I started hot gluing the side and the bottom. Now because its smaller at the base than it is the top it kind of has a pleated look almost.
I then traced a bunny on the complimenting fabric and mod podged it on.



Voila!
 Gabby's is on the left and Rosalie's is on the right. Originally i also wanted to embroider their names on the bunnies but I think it would have been too much. 


3 comments:

  1. That's cute and will be good for you to store things in after Easter since they are built to last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ladies! I love them! I may end up having to do some touch ups over the years but that's expected.

    ReplyDelete